The Department of Floriculture J&K previously known as Gardens, Parks & Floriculture Department was established by Prof. K.N. Koul in the year 1969 for maintenance of Mughal Gardens and with the passage of time, the authorities particularly in 1975 when Sher-e-Kashmir Jenab Sheikh Mohd. Abudllah took over as Chief Minister, of J&K, assigned this department the job for development of new areas under Floriculture and their maintenance besides the development of parks transferred from Housing Department / Municipal Corporation Jammu, VIP Houses, Civil Secretariat / Assembly Lawns etc. In view of the Cabinet decision, a separate Directorate of Floriculture for Jammu Division was created / established during the year August-2007.
The objectives of the Floriculture Department are manifold.
1. To renovate the already existing Parks and Gardens by way of providing recreational facilities to the people of Jammu, in General and to the tourists coming to Shri Mata Vaishno Devi and other religious places in particular.
2. To develop the open spaces in different colonies to provide pollution free environment and recreational facilities.
3. To develop Zanana / Children Parks in every districts of the Division.
4. To explore new avenues for recreation and tourist attraction like laser show facility / Ride Stimulator at Bagh-e-Bahu.
5. To develop Lupin Garden at Sanasar & Botanical Garden at Bhour Camp.
With the creation of separate Directorate for Jammu region, the demand for development of new gardens and parks started increasing many folds, besides improvement / upkeep of the existing gardens and parks in Jammu division. The department is making all out efforts to introduce the modern equipments like Brush Cutters, Chian Saws, Hover Movers, Hedge Trimmers, Motorized Lawn Movers, Bed Makers, Tillers etc for speedy maintenance of the parks and gardens of the department. Therefore the department proposes an amount of Rs.771.00 lacs under capital component for beautification of Jammu division by way of development/maintenance of existing / new gardens and parks during the year 2013-14.